Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

I thought it would be fun to look back at the New Year's resolutions I made last year on my other blog, It's Always Something, to see how many I kept. Here is the list from this time last year with an update on how this poor blogger did:


1. Lose weight -  I actually did this one...joined Weight Watchers in September and have lost 20 pounds so far...25 more to go!

2. Grow my hair - Yup...did that too, although I'm hardly Rapunzel yet!

3. Quit smoking (already broken) - Quit from February to November and then all he** broke loose...now I need to do it all over again.

4. Learn Japanese - Does konnichi wa count? I'm afraid that my daughter-in law Tomomi's mother, Umeyo, is doing much better with her English than I am doing with my Japanese. 
5. Make my "bucket list" so that I'll have time before I'm too old to do anything on it - Definitely have worked on that. Bought a new little Casita camper (on the list) and hope to travel this summer...maybe to Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Somewhere In Time is one of my favorite movies). Later the list calls for a return trip to the U.K...not in the camper, of course. And I'd love to join Sisters On the Fly.

6. Stop making so many lists (already broken) - Impossible...I'll admit it: I love lists!

7. Overcome my fear of colonoscopies -  hmmm...


8. Make the blog even more exciting (?) - The year was exciting enough on it's own...I didn't have to do anything.

9. Spend at least as many minutes doing fun things as I spend in hospitals and doctor's offices - See #8

10. Have another "cousins weekend" in 2010 - Yes...we got all the cousins together in October for a "girls weekend"... great fun and Nancy was well enough to join us.

11. Learn all the words to the "Maine Counties" song so I could sing along with Nancy - Still haven't mastered that one. "There's sixteen counties in our state...Cumberland and Franklin"...is as far as I got.

12. Drink more Margaritas - Absolutely...on the rocks with salt and lime.

13. Be nice - Always a work in progress but I sure try!

How about you?  I'd love to hear about how you did on your resolutions for 2010 and what your goals are for 2011. Care to share?

As I went through my day today, I was trying to come up with some words of inspiration with which to end this New Year's Eve post. About to give up, I re-read more of last year's blog entries and found the perfect words...written by Nancy on our blog exactly a year ago, on December 31, 2009. I think she said it all...here is her message:

"With the coming New Year I have been reflecting a lot on 2009. I am ever so grateful to be in continued remission. Tomorrow is the start of a new year, a new beginning for each of us, and it is a time to take stock of our lives and what we would like to see for the future. For me, I am thankful to be alive and in remission, and I am thankful for my wonderful husband, family and friends. This year, I will try to find a way to deal with life's stresses, I will pray more, and I will live my life to the fullest. I will love and laugh freely. I wish for all of you a very happy and healthy New Year, filled with love, laughter, and hope! ~Nancy"


Happy New Year to you all.

2 comments:

CHERI said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. Her words at the end of your post are so uplifting. I don't do resolutions (see my latest post)...just too much pressure. Sounds like you do a pretty good job of keeping yours though:) I do like your one about more marguritas!!! I've decided to work on a WORD for this year and my word is CONTENTMENT. I want to learn to be more content with whatever my life offers...and I have many blessings, so why ask for more? Please come by to visit my blog anytime. Happy New Year...may it be filled with many blessings and much joy!

Anonymous said...

What a year. How Nancy could still be so thankful with all she;d been through. She was so great and missed terribly. I think of a year of Braca 2 results, ovaries removes, both breasts removed, both breast rebuilt, mom in and out of hospital, Nancy in and out of hospital and then dying, Dave in hospital with Lyme Disease and now face paralysis! But we are all still here, still all going on together, and I am very happy for the life and family I have been given. What a year! Let's see what 2011 will bring.
Andi