Sunday, December 12, 2010

Teal for the Tree

My friend, Sandra (crafter extraordinaire) and I got together last weekend to make some felt ornaments. With all the talking we did, and a break for pizza, not much got accomplished that day but I did find some time this week to finish up a few of our creations. My favorite is this teal ovarian cancer awareness ornament, made in honor of Nancy, of course. The ornament could just as easily could be made in pink to honor a breast cancer survivor.

The Scotty has nothing to do with cancer awareness...we just cut the shape and thought he was kind of cute...and I do have a friend who loves Scotties so it will be fun to tie this on her Christmas package.

Once the ornaments are cut, use heat n' bond to give them some body and do a blanket stitch or running stitch around the edges. Slide a thin ribbon under the top stitch to make a hanger. If you click on the image below, the pattern will enlarge to full size and can be saved and printed from your computer.


For those of you who live in Maine, Marden's (a Maine tradition and bargain shopper's paradise) has spools of embroidery floss like the one shown in the images above for 4/$1.00 right now in lots of colors. Since I ususally pay over $2.00 each for them at my local quilt shop, these are definitely a good buy. Marden's also has the giant 1" size decorator rick rack in lots of colors for $.25 a yard...too cute to pass up...now I just need to figure out what to do with it! Any ideas?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

from Aunt Marion:
You sure are ambitious & busy. I can hardly get dressed some mornings.that's why we had children to carry on the traditions.