Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mason Jar Craft Storage

I purchased these vintage canning jars at a roadside flea market in Machias, Maine on our way home from Canada. Only $2.00 each and I loved the covers. There is a glass insert and then a metal top with an opening in it. I'll remove and save the glass insert from the top of each jar (never know when I might need one of those!).

This one will sit on the kitchen counter, next to the phone and right above my "junk drawer", to hold string.

You could do something similar with a Mason Jar with a regular metal top by just drilling a hole in the cover...

Or by  sliding the string out the side as was done in this photo, holding yarn, from Home Made Simple.

I'll use my taller jar to store dispense ribbons in the craft room.
Simple, useful and cute...what could be better?

While I was thinking about canning jar storage ideas, I came across this clever use of Mason jars at Epheriell Designs. I think that this would be a fun project to replicate on a craft room wall

I also love this idea for sewing room storage from Just Call Me Miss DIY.
What's you favorite use for canning jars?


This post is linked to:
Under $100. Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Thrifty Thursday at Tales From Bloggeritaville
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors

8 comments:

A Vintage Green said...

Favorite use of vintage canning jars - wooden spool collection, white button collection.
Loved reading your post today.
- Joy

Susie said...

This is really amazing! I would never of thought to do this the way you have.
I am your newest follower.

Susie at Puddle Jumper Creations

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

I love how these look and what a great idea to store string, etc. in them!
Now I know what to do with all of the Mason jars in my garage!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

I love using canning jars for EVERYTHING!
LOl
*hugs*deb

Cassy said...

Those Mason jars are definitely a best buy.

Cass from Classical Guitar Lessons

Connie said...

Hi cheryl - Love the jars! I have never seen the one's with that type of top. Real handy for crafts. Michael's had a video running last week taking the top and turning it into a pin cushion that I want to make. Will have to let you know or post it if I find it.

Lizbux said...

I love these jars! I really want to get inventive with my self storage and do something different. Great blog, can't wait t o see what else you come up with!

Ellen Elliott said...

As a collector of vintage canning jars, I loved your post! I have blue ones lined up on my bathroom windowsill, holding qtips, cotton balls, hair scrunchies, emery boards, nail polish, the list goes on! It looks pretty with the sun shining through.

Now I need to add some to my craft room!