Saturday, April 30, 2011

Vintage Kitchen Signs

I love signs...especially scruffed-up old signs...and advertising signs...and humorous signs. I  can't seem to resist buying them. Here are the signs in my farmhouse kitchen...

This is my very favorite...maybe because I have had it the longest and I worked so hard to get it. It is a vintage country store sign advertising Pillsbury's Best Flour. The sign itself is painted on tin and framed in wood.
In 1973, I was very young and worked part time in a Country Store in Connecticut. They decided to sell this sign and wanted $75.00 for it. At the time, that seemed like a million dollars to me but I just knew I had to have it.  So I made an arrangement with the owner to pay off the sign for $5.00 a week out of my pay. When I finally took it home, I was so excited...and it has hung in every home I have had since.

 Here it is in my kitchen today...along with other vintage signs I've collected since...

 Like this one for Lobsters...after all, we do live on the coast of Maine!

 And this one advertising Corn...for 5 cents 'n EAR!

Here's another of my favorites. As the oldest of four sisters, I have always needed to give advice (even when I didn't know what to do). So this one hangs right over "my" chair at the kitchen table. A lot of problems have been solved sitting under this sign.

 This one sits on my kitchen shelf...not old (from Home Goods actually) but it makes me laugh...


I also love my vintage "Diner" sign...it hangs above the door to the kitchen.

My sister, Nancy, loved signs too. Here are a few over her kitchen booth...
She had a "Diner" sign too, as well as one that says "Luncheonette" and another that says "Gone to Moody's".  Moody's Diner, in Waldoboro, is a Maine landmark and we used to love going there together.

Nancy bought this sign in New Hampshire on our 2009 "Sister's Road Trip". She loved what it said: "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares".

We bought this sign together too..she hung it over the door to her pantry.

When I started this post, I was going to show all of my signs but, as I photographed them, I realized the post would be so long that you, dear Reader, would likely be asleep by the time I got to the end. So, another day, I'll post vintage signs from other rooms of our house...and garden...and camper.
 Did I mention that I love signs???
Here's one more sign...
This post is linked to these fantastic blogs:
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints On the Frige
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors
A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday at Bargain Hunting With Laurie
Show & Tell Saturday at Be Different, Act Normal
Vintage Market Saturday at Southern Lady's Vintage

11 comments:

Amanda Lee said...

Your signs are great! I once did a cross-stitch for my parents with the "entertain angels" scripture. Now that they have gone, I have it back -- maybe I'll hang it in a guest room in the new house. I definitely plan to steal your "free advice" sign idea!
~Amanda

Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse said...

I'm with ya, I love signs too and have several in my kitchen. Your Pillsbury flour one is gorgeous and it was worth all that hard work! One of our favorite humorous ones says "Smiley's Rest Stop EAT HERE AND GET GAS just ahead."

Jane said...

You have some wonderful signs. The Pillsbury one is my favorite too. You were a very smart lady to purchase it back then. Like you said, $75.00 in the 70's was a lot of money but oh so worth it!!
Jane

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Cheryl, thank you sooooo much for sharing your vintage signs!! I enjoyed your post so much!! Love the Pillsbury sign! What a great find and one that I would bet that you will never part with!! I hope you will continue to link in to Vintage Love Saturday each Saturday and please also join me on Monday's for Market Monday at my other blog at http://www.southernladysmarket.blogspot.com. There you are welcome to show your vintage OR your handmade items!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Cheryl what an awesome collection of signs. I love that Pillsbury sign for sure. The story of the advice sign above your chair makes me smile. I look forward to seeing your post about more of your great signs. hugs, Linda

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Love that "Free Advice" sign! I'm the oldest of 4 girls too...I get it :) Laurel

Blessed Girl said...

Love your vintage signs! We used "vintage" looking signs throughout our wedding reception and now have them hanging in our home to remind us of that very special day. One of my favorites is displayed in our kitchen: "Love is Sweet So Have a Treat!"

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a great story...and what a great sign! Just love old signs and the graphics!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh what great signs Cheryl! I love the story about the Pillsbury sign. I love the ear of corn sign too ~ so clever. I'm so glad you shared these for Favorite Things. laurie

Diann said...

What a great and fun collection of signs! love the Pillsbury one! They are all wonderful. thanks for joining TTF. Have a great day!

Betty said...

I just realized that I need a diner sign. I miss diners, but we don't have them here.