Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Home Educator

I thought I would share one of my all time favorite vintage finds. ...the Home Educator. Back in rural America in the 19th century, when most people still lived on farms, a lot of children were educated at home. When I saw this piece in a local antique shop, I knew I had to have it...for a teacher who loves antiques and lives in an old farmhouse, it was the perfect thing. I love that it includes about everything that a child on the farm was thought to need to know...


the Ten Commandments...




how to write...


everyday vocabulary...

how to calculate...


how to weigh and measure...

and the Lord's Prayer.

I'm off to school now.  Oh...for life in a simpler time!


This post is happily linked to :
Anything Goes Party at Type A
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Transformations and Treasures at The Pink Postcard
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Treasures and Trinkets at My Cottage Charm
Open House Party Thursday at No Minimalist Here
Vintage Thingy Thursday at The Colorado Lady
Thrifty Thursday at Tales From Bloggeritaville
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

17 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh that is simply fabulous! What a great find. I love the graphics!

xo
Claudia

My Cottage Charm said...

Hey Cheryl! I LOVE this piece! I homeschool, so it really hits home with me! lol You found a real gem in that piece..how fun!
Thanks for linking up to Treasures and Trinkets, hope you'll come back each week.
Have a great day
Hugs
Missy

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

How charming! I have never seen one of these...I hope I can find one someday!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I never saw anything like it. How cool is that!

Jane said...

I can see why you wanted this piece...it is awesome! It looks to be in great shape for it's age (wish I could say the same about myself!)
Jane

Unknown said...

What a great oldie! I have seen those before in antique stores. Too cool! Thanx for sharing! Please go vote on The Cranky Queen's Egg (see my blog for details) Tiff

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a great find! I've never seen one like that. I really love that it does include all one needs to know! hugs, Linda

Tammy @ Type A said...

what a wonderful find! very cool. i would love it if you shared it at my party. http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/04/anything-goes-party-12.html

MeMeSue said...

Now that is a fantastic find!

Hugs,
Sue

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Cheryl, This is a fabulous piece of history. I love it and if I had seen it first I would have grabbed it. Thanks for joining my Open House party!
Hugs,
Sherry

Tammy @ Type A said...

i just can't get over how cool this is. what a time. vowels 'w & y' love it. thanks for sharing this at my party!

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

What a unique find...love that it has the ten commandments on it :)
I'm sure lovin' your treasures and trinkets...but I guess I'll admit for the whole world wide web to see, that I never liked school all that much...but I did want to be the teacher and would play teacher alot at home when I was a kid... lol!! I know I'm bad...wish I could have been home schooled...I think I would have loved that. Thanks for sharing :)
Big hugs,
Queenie

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

If we could only go back to a simpler time! For many of us who love all things vintage, I believe that "desire" is part of our draw to the past.

Thanks for sharing this incredible find at the party, Cheryl. I've never seen one before and find it quite charming.

Hugs,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Cheryl, that is Perfect... The Simple Life all in one place~ A real Treasure.
Cheryl

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Cheryl, this is wonderful, what a great find! Love that the Lord's Prayer is there also. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

So happy I stopped by from VIF...your blog is wonderful!

This is the best vintage piece I have seen in a while too! Love it!

Noble Vintage said...

absolutely adorable!!! I can't believe the roller still works and is in such great shape. You really found a great treasure. Thanks so much for sharing this at Transformations and Treasures!