Thursday, April 28, 2011

Funky Finds & Bargain Bunches

WOW...how's that title for alliteration!  It's finally warm enough here to open up our screened porch for the season and it just so happens that I have a lot of flea market finds from our trip to Pennsylvania and Maryland to decorate it with.

I found this great old seedling carrier, with the baskets, for $15.00 at Renninger's Flea Market in Adamstown, Pa. On the way home, we stopped at IKEA in Connecticut where I found these potted herbs - not real but hard to tell - for $5.99 each. The basil and oregano fit perfectly in the baskets. The vintage cherry tea towel was another find from our trip...$2.00.

This is the booth where I bought a lot of my bargains. The booth was way off to the side and the seller was cold and anxious to dicker. He had some great funky stuff...fresh picked.

On my way home from school this week, I stopped to check out a Maine landmark, Marden's, a huge salvage store. They buy out stores that are going out of business or are overstocked and often have name brand items at ridiculous prices...if you can overlook the lack of "ambiance". (Marden's makes WalMart look like a boutique.) They had bought out a high-end floral company and the stuff was amazing...each stem not only looks, but feels, real...with perfect detail and color. I don't use artificial flowers often but decided to buy an assortment to have on hand for porch decorating and summer crafting.

This ribbon was from the same shop...$2.00 for a huge spool...I bought four.

Here are some of my floral finds...
a Narcissis bulb in bloom, perfect in every detail...$.89.  I'll "plant" this one in one of my McCoy pots.

This milk bottle carrier is from the same booth at Renninger's...$6.00, with the bottles. I replaced the bottles with Mason jars for this photos. It will live on the screened porch. And yes, the forsythia is finally out in Maine!

I loved the boughs of lemon leaf at Marden's...huge and the stems look and feel like wood...$2.59 a bunch. I think these will make beautiful wreathes...I'll use old picture frames as a base.

Couldn't resist a few red tulips...love how "imperfect" the blossoms are...as in nature...$.89 each.

I posed a stem of white lilacs on our porch futon for this photos. I love the futon cover...a splurge last summer from L.L. Bean.

I even bought weeds...

...and cherry tomatoes. These look so real I will have to be careful that one of the grandchildren doesn't decide to eat one!


Now all I have left to do is put out the porch furniture...

...and wait for the Chickadees to find their little camper outside the porch.

It's so good to be outside again...


This post is happily linked to:
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Transformations & Treasures at The Pink Postcard
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Under $100. Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
Friday Pretties at I Love Pretty Little Things
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home Party at The Charm of Home

17 comments:

Sherry Hicks said...

Love it thanks for sharing, I particularly am loving the vintage wire basket with the mason jars.....
Sherry

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kim said...

Wow! You scored big time there Cheryl! Good for you. Next time bring me with you!
xoxo,
Kim

A Few Pennies said...

You found some really neat things; I'm loving that ribbon--so sweet and the old metal carrier to hold all sorts of goodies. Wish I had been there too! Patty

Babs said...

Gosh, you really had good luck. Great finds and I like your photos.
Babs

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

love anything vintage gardening. I really love the little red metal chair!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It all looks so cute! I am ready to get my deck cleaned and some new flowers planted!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

That little camper is so adorable. You scored some wonderful goodies here. Love the funky stuff!!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Cheryl, Love the wire and wood caddys. Thank you for sharing your great finds at my party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Pam Kessler said...

Great finds. I really like your little porch chair with the decal on it. I like the idea of planting faux flowers in your Mccoy planters. Water can do wacky things to the older planters some times.

Linda said...

You got some great finds...I love the ribbon! I love all garden things that are rusty and old...mixed with a bit of new...thanks for sharing!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You found some cute things. Those potted herbs do look real and so do the tomatoes. Thanks for joining WUW.

Noble Vintage said...

those are all such fantastic finds! you could have fooled me with those tomatoes too! :) that tea towel is definitely drool worthy. thanks so much for sharing this at Transformations and Treasures!

Maaike said...

great finds you have posted here! The little chair is so cute... Have a lovely weekend,
Maaike

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

You sure Scored ~ Love that Seed Chaddy & the faux plants are Amazing, can't tell that they are Not ready to Wilt....
Cheryl

Debra@CommonGround said...

Great carrier, I'm addicted to them. and love all the faux blooms, great prices! Thanks for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

The Charm of Home said...

Great finds! I love your seedling carriers. Thanks for linking it up!
Sherry