Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Setting a Farm Table

When I was a young mother, I worked part time in an old country store in Connecticut and fell in love with M.A. Hadley Pottery. I collected a few pieces at the time and a few years ago was lucky enough to add to my collection with pieces from an antique shop on Cape Cod. Here is a simple setting of Hadley pottery on our old red farm table.

The Hadley Pottery is located in Louisville, Kentucky. The pottery was first produced by artist Mary Alice Hadley, who hand-signed each piece, and is still in production today.

The wooden farm animals are from a vintage kindergarten set I picked up years ago at an antique shop in Vermont. They live happily with the other wooden animals in their little red barn.

I love the handpainted farm motifs on this stoneware.


Here is the rest of my collection. Although I don't use much blue in my home, I am drawn to this stonewhere for its whimsical designs .

I'd love to hear from other collectors of Hadley pottery and see photos of some of your pieces.


I hope you will visit the following blogs to which this post is linked:
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Treasures and Trinkets Thursday at My Cottage Charm

16 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

You taught me something new today....I had never heard of Hadley pottery. It's charming and I know that's why you love your collection. The horse is my favorite!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are too cute! I found a little plate once that I think might have been this pottery and gave it to a friend. Now I will keep my eyes open for more of it! I think my favorite is the sheep! CUTE!! hugs, Linda

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

It's fun to see your charming collection!

Rachel said...

I love this dish set! So unique!!! Very farm chic!!!

Lori Lucas said...

I saw this post over at Kim's and I was going to tell you that I have two pieces. I have always wanted the WHOLE set, but never got it. I got my two pieces in Tennessee back in the (gasp) 90's!!! So nice to see your set. LOVE it. Lori L

A Few Pennies said...

I love that blue; your farm tablescape is precious!

My Cottage Charm said...

Thank you so much for linking up to my party..I live in KY and have never seen a real piece of Hadley before...it's lovely! :)
Your little farm animals are so sweet too!
Thanks again and hope to see you next week!
Hugs
Missy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I've seen these every so often on eBay -- they're so cute and sweet. I just read a bit about your sister -- I know that your loss is great, but what a wonderful way to keep her memory through this blog. Sweet blessings to you.

The Charm of Home said...

That is a very nice table. Love any old pottery and the little wooden animals. Very cute.
Sherry

Debby S. said...

Your china is beautiful. I have never heard of this maker. First time I have been by your blog, it's a very touching tribute. I'm off to read older posts. So glad I found it!!!

Debby S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marigene said...

Your table is very charming. You have a wonderful collection of dishes...I had never heard of it until your post. Now I will be looking to see if I can find a piece!

By the Bluegrass said...

Ahhhh, my mother collected M.A. Hadley for years. She has many of those pieces. We are from Louisville, KY where it is made and where Mary Alice Hadley started the company. My mom mainly collects hard to find vintage pieces now. We come across them in antique stores from time to time.
I mainly have Louisville Stoneware pieces. Which is very similar. Lovely collection.
xo,
Sena

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Cheryl,
I have never laid eyes on those dishes are heard of them before,
but they are so simply adorable.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
Blessings,
Nellie

cbk said...

I just saw this blog. I have also collected some M.A. Hadley pottery through the yrs. My first was a little jar with the horse on it. It was at a cabin we bout in 1965. My mother said I could take it home and soon after that the cabin was struck by lightening and burned. Glad I took it when I did. I now rescue pieces at yard sales and trift stores. I need to put it all together as you have. I am building a china cabinet from old windows so I will devote a shelf to this fun pottery. Just last week I saw a plate at a thrift store that was done especially for a child named Matthew. I imagine that cost a pretty penny to have it done....just to wind up at a thrift store next to junk. Well, my husband thinks it is all junk. Unlike me who feels it holds much more!