Monday, March 7, 2011

Red On Red

It's a dreary day here in Maine...fog and a cold windswept rain all day. Will Spring ever arrive this year?  Maybe to compensate for the dull day, I thought about taking some photos with lots of color...and red came to mind immediately.  It's a happy color sure to warm the spirits on a dark day. It's also one of my favorite colors to use around my home. So, here goes...some red for you...

How about a table setting in reds to get rid of the it's-not-quite-Spring-yet blahs...

with a cup of hot tea from a red teapot?


Here's a coffee table book about decorating with red...

and some old Western novels to read by the fire. (The red cowgirl boots were another Goodwill find...$7.00!)

The living room curtains are red too. The sewing took much longer than anticipated...so many yards of green piping to sew along the edges.

And of course, the dolls need some vintage red school dresses to wear. (I think I actually wore a few like this to school myself...how about you?)

My sister, Nancy, loved her red Mickey Mouse ears! What woman of a certain age couldn't use a pair of these?

And finally, I can't blog from Maine about the color red without mentioning lobsters. This "lobster" is out waving to traffic in downtown Portland every day, summer or winter, rain or shine. His claws must be freezing tonight!
I hope that Spring has arrived for you but, if not, at least you can be happy that you're not this guy!  

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

I hope you will visit the amazing blogs to which this post is linked:
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House In the Roses
Rednesday at It's A Very Cherry World
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps On The Porch

21 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Congrat's on fitting into a size 10 jeans!!! I'm not "doing" as well as I should with my healthy eating.
Loving the RED!
deb

Olive said...

I love your dishes and the toile.

Claudia said...

Love all the red - it's one of my favorite colors. And that little dress is adorable!

xo
Claudia

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

What wonderful reds!!! That little red dress is THE cutest!!!

Sue said...

Cheryl, I love the title of your blog and the story behind it. I lost my mom in May, so I know how hard it is to lose someone you love.

I love all your reds! I find that I'm bringing lots of yellow out in my house right now to "pretend" it feels like spring (it doesn't)! Our sunshine has disappeared this week. I love your red plates, so pretty.

Thanks for visiting me!

Decor To Adore said...

What a lovely vignette! I adore the red.

Have a wonderful Fat Tuesday!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Very cheery post...especially love the little cowgirl boots and the cute towel! I was catching up with your last post, too! Good for you on your weight loss! I'd love to get back into a 10! Thanks so much for your encouraging comment about my kitchen re-do!

Sarah said...

Cheryl, what a fun post! I recently posted a review of the book, RED ON RED. It's a favorite! Thanks for sharing all your fabulous reds. Happy Rednesday!
~ Sarah

Carol at Serendipity said...

Cheryl,

Your blog is outstanding and I will be your newest follower. The doll dress is perfect. I just found my Madame Alexander doll and her clothes and there is a red dress so maybe I will join Rednesday again.

I lived in Gorham for 30 years and now spend summer months in the Bridgton area. My boys live in Portland.

Carol

Made By Gen said...

So much red i like them. Happy Rednesday. Hope you visit my red.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

If you make the tea peppermint, I'd be happy to join you!


A RED-LESS DAY?

“Oh, my goodness, oh, my dear!
Don’t you think it’s very clear
That a red-less day’s a drag?”
Said Ms. Foxy Scarlet Hag.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


Lazy Days

★Carol★ said...

This post was chock full of fun reds! I love the old western, and the sweet little dress, and I know my sister would love the MM ears. The Mickey Mouse Club was her favorite show when she was little!
Happy REDnesday,
Carol

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Such cute reds! I love the mickey mouse ears...I would wear them for sure! I love a good Maine lobster...nothing else like it in the world. Oh and I wore a dress just like that when I was young. Too cute! hugs, Linda

Scarlett said...

I have discovered your lovely blog via A La Carte - so pleased I did! Looking forward to reading all your posts. Scarlett x

CJ Foss said...

Cheryl,

Great to meet a fellow educator with a passion for all things homey, crafty and RED! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I'm having a few green with envy moments over the big farmhouse in Maine! Wow. Looking forward to more of your inspiring posts.

~CJ

Shel said...

Your table is lovely....red, a favourite colour of mine! And well done on fitting into size 10 jeans!
Thanks for stopping by at me...such a lovely comment...and, btw, we can't wait for winter....in a drought here with temps of over 30degree C!
Have a wonderful day.
Shel

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Your table is marvelous...red is beautiful. I like all the things you've chose for it, it's a fun and cheerful table. The farmhouse in Maine sounds delicious! It must be gorgeous to see it! I love red so go on using it!
Your welcome to visit me, I'll be so happy to have you.

XO
FABBY

we three dogs and me said...

Yes red is cheerful. It is so dark and dreary we need something to cheer us up. I feel better already good job

Marigene said...

Love the toile table...so warm and inviting.

Entertaining Women said...

Just the right shot of red for a dreary winter day...looks wonderful! I love your red toile plate. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay

Tess said...

I love red and you've done it justice! Love the patterned plates. But mostly this tribute to your sister is sweet and wonderful. This is a lovely tribute!!