Saturday, January 8, 2011

The New Camera!

My new camera finally arrived today and I am almost as excited as I was the day I got my new label maker! It's not a fancy SLR but it will do macro and black and white photography...once I figure out how to use it, that is. I'll miss my trusty old EasyShare but will still use it when I want a camera that can fit in my purse. That old camera has endured some pretty rough treatment, including being  submerged in a river in Tennessee on an ill-fated tubing expedition...and kept on clicking. (Note to self: Avoid storing new camera in bathing suit.)

Tomorrow I'll probably be out shopping for a tripod...blogging is becoming an expensive little hobby! I really admire the photos on some of my favorite blogs and would love to learn enough to create one or two amazing ones of my own someday. Every time I visit Brenda's blogs, Cozy Little House and A Fairy In My Garden, I'm inspired to try my hand at "real" photography. Other bloggers whose photos I love to look at again and again are Joyce at I Love Pretty Little Things, Amy at Into Vintage, and Laura at 52 Flea. These ladies have set a pretty high standard but I think I'll have fun taking baby steps with my new Nikon while I continue to visit their blogs for inspiration.
On another note, this little blog now has 40 Followers! That makes me really happy because I feel as if those are 40 people who are honoring Nancy's memory just by being here. Some of you knew Nancy and loved her and others are just getting to know her through this blog. Either way, the number of Followers is a tribute to her, to her positive spirit, and to the things she loved. If you haven't decided to click that little button on the left of your screen and Follow us yet, I hope you will.

Well, it's been 3 1/2 hours since initial plug-in and the new camera is finally charged. So, I'll end this post and go play with it for awhile....although at this hour my photo ops may be a bit limited. I'm not sure Hank would appreciate my first close-up being of him asleep in front of the Celtics game! On second thought, maybe I'll start tomorrow...

7 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Cheryl,
Congrats on the new camera. I was just telling Joe that if my camera lives until next Christmas, that i would like a better camera. mine was a $39.00 special at target but it originally cost over $125! I have had it for about 6 years now and I fear it may be dying on me...

Have a great weekend!

hugs,
Debbie

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Oh My Goodness! First of all CONGRATS on your new camera! How exciting!!!

Secondly, I am so honored that you mentioned me, and linked my blog to yours. You warmed my heart. Thank You!!!
Have a wonderful day,
Joyce

Unknown said...

Debbie and Joyce,
Thanks for your congrats on the new camera...I'm still reading the directions but hope to figure it out soon! Have a good weekend!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I've never had a Nikon, but hear wonderful things about it. Let me know how you like it. You're doing a wonderful thing, honoring your sister's memory. Thanks for the mention. I just have a Canon Powershot G10, and it's nothing at all fancy!
Brenda

Into Vintage said...

I have declared this to be The Year of the New Camera for me so I'm looking forward to hearing how you like yours. I currently use a very old Nikon Coolpix on the auto mode (sad but true) and it's time to retire it. I will say it's been incredibly dependable despite the fact I'm a little rough with it.

I hope you'll follow up with a review of your new Nikon. :-)

Unknown said...

Brenda and Amy,
Can't believe the photos the two of you take with those cameras. Are they SLRs? I spent a lot of time reading reviews and comparing cameras so hope this one will be a good choice...it's a Nikon P100. I'll let you know how I like it...or maybe the photos on my blog will tell that story for themselves (once I figure it out)! I plan to relax in front of "Julie and Julia" tonight...cute movie with a theme of...what else...blogging! Thanks for your comments and inspiration.

Jane said...

What a wonderful idea to honor your sister's memory with this blog. Her memory will stay alive as you reflect and post about things that she loved. I would be honored to be a follower.
Thanks for your very sweet comments on my blog today. I really appreciated your comments not only about my projects but also about our life with ALS.
Have a wonderful week.
Jane