Monday, January 9, 2012

A Tempting Target Find

While shopping for sheets for my mother the other day at Target, I spied this white wicker candle holder with glass liner for $14.99. I was tempted, but because I like to decorate with vintage items, and because I'm trying to downsize a bit, I walked away.

And then walked back and bought it.


Here's what changed my mind: I always feel bad packing away the beautiful red pillar candles that have only been partially burned at the holidays...never mind the few new ones I usually receive as gifts. Paired with a few Valentine's items, I like how my left-over-from-Christmas red candle looks with the white wicker of this piece.


The candle holder I chose is 8 inches high and 7 inches wide; they also had a taller one. It's nicely detailed for $14.99 and, placed next to my favorite books, warms up the coffee table in the family room on these cold January days.

Right now I'm burning a pumpkin candle in it...this one left over from Thanksgiving. In the warmer weather, I can envision this piece living in apple green bliss as it lights up our screened porch on warm summer evenings..

So I've convinced myself that this purchase met both of William Morris's home decorating tests  ("Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful").  
And my Mom's sheets? I ended up buying them at LL Bean!


This post is happily linked to:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life
Tutorials & Tips Link Party at Home Stories A to Z

7 comments:

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I think you made the right choice. It will look great with any color candle.
Barb - formerly Barb & Dell Designs

Gail said...

Like you, I live candles especially red ones which are good for Christmas, Valentines, patriotic days. I also add red to the other jewel toned fall candles. Red is a good accent except maybe during Easter pastels.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love this candle holder and it can stay out year round with different colored candles in it. Enjoy!!

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sweet candle holder. I love candles too and unique holders. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of this one all year. Blessings, Pamela

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It looks so festive with the valentine candies sprinkled around it! And after a stressful day, there's nothing more relaxing than gazing at a fire or burning candles.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh yes...this is a wonderful year round treasure!

Blessings,
Linda

Janel from NellieBellie said...

what a great find! So fun!