Monday, January 16, 2012

Playing With Scissors

Have you noticed that, like pens and pencils, scissors have a habit of disappearing just when you need them in a hurry? Like when you finally get the string around all four sides of a package and are gripping the ends in your teeth? Here's a quick and easy solution...


All you need is a potholder (I bought these at the Christmas Tree Shop for $.99 each), a vintage button, a needle and thread, and, of course, the elusive scissors.


Fold the potholder, stitch up the bottom and side, add the button, and you're done. The loop on the potholder is perfect for hanging the scissors right where you can see them. Perfect for kitchen sheers or sewing scissors in the craft room.

I couldn't decide which way I liked these better so I'm showing you both...one with the pointed end tucked in and the other with it left in a point.


I'm making these in red and white to use as little Valentine gifts...you could use any color potholder that strikes your fancy, as long as it's square.

Vintage ones would be fun...
photo from The DIY Spot

They could also be filled with crochet hooks, knitting needles, reading glasses, small kitchen utensils,or pens and pencils to hang by the phone. For Valentine's Day, I was thinking about lining one with a paper doily and filling it with candy for a neighbor.  A simple shipping tag could be attached to the loop and stamped with a Valentine greeting...or check out all the free printable ones listed here.


Now it's back up to the craft room for me...still reorganizing and finishing up a few projects...assuming I can find the scissors!


This post is linked to:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House In the Roses
Tutorials & Tips Link Party at Home Stories A to Z
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Sat Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors

7 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sweet idea! Very simple and cute and useful too! Thanks for sharing. I hope you are doing well and staying warm. Hugs, Pamela

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are adorable and oh so easy! I think this is just the cutest gift! I'm on the lookout for cute potholders now!! Hugs, Linda

Grammy Goodwill said...

Just moments ago I took my scissors out of a holder just like this! My daughter made it in Girl Scouts years ago. They've held my kitchen scissors for over 20 years. It really makes a good gift.

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

This is so sweet! Love this idea! oh by the way everything disappears in my house except the mess : ) LOL!!! hugs...your newest follower!

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

These are so precious!! TFS!!
Stopping by from The Shabby Creek Cottage linky party and your newest follower.

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/hollys-first-coat.html

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Stopping by from Funky Junk! what a great idea, I have so many scissors I could make these for. This provides protection for them, being I don't have any holders for them. I'll be looking for potholders or maybe making a few myself. My fingers are crossed that you will share this cute covers at Sunday's Best party tonight, sharing is a good thing!

Connie said...

Cheryl - What a cute idea ! You are right about always losing scissors, among other tools. You are on a roll !