Monday, March 12, 2012

Karma

Karma...

Little sequences of deeds and effects...

The concept that good deeds are returned to you...


That what goes around...comes around.

I've always found that, when I'm having a bad day, the best way to get myself out of the funk is to do some little act of kindness for someone else. It works for me.


Saturday morning, I took my coffee up to the craft room to dig through the mess left from my last few episodes of postmenopausal hyperactivity creative energy.


As I sorted through piles of  brightly colored quilting fabrics left from various projects, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them...


I would pack them up in a box from the attic and mail them to the cozy little house of a friend who has been having some bad karma recently.


I'd pay it forward...in fabric.


As I was digging through the bins, I felt something hard between two layers of calico. I dug down to see what it was...


And pulled out a ring I had lost over a year ago. This ring meant the world to me and I've looked everywhere for it. It's a little sterling silver friendship ring that is inscribed with a cancer awareness ribbon and the word "HOPE".


My sister Nancy gave it to me.  
She wore one and I wore the other.
Until I lost mine.


Nancy is wearing hers on her right hand in this photo. (Don't you love her teal nails? Teal is the color for ovarian cancer and we all sported "teal toes" and teal nails during her illness.)


If I hadn't gone through that bin of fabric to pass some of it on to a friend, I would never have found the ring.


Karma?

I think so.


8 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I am so glad you found your precious ring!

Grammy Goodwill said...

Definitely Karma. Good for you.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Cheryl this just brought tears to my eyes. I know how much finding this ring means to you. Karma indeed sweet lady!
hugs to you, Linda

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a wonderful surprise! Yes, I truly believe what goes around comes around.

Pamela Gordon said...

That is awesome! I'm so happy for you. It's funny where things just turn up isn't it? Hugs, Pamela

Annette T. said...

I'm so glad you found it. I know it means so much to you. It gave me goosebumps when I read the post. I think your sister placed it there, letting you know she loves and misses you.

A Few Pennies said...

Your post hits home and the heart; so true in those precious metals you've shown--and so pretty. I envy you so much for the love between you and your sister--what I wouldn't give for that! I truly love to see you remembering her in the ways that you do--and you know she's with you in spirit--always. Thanks for sharing this lovely post.

Connie said...

What a good post ! Karma, for sure. What a surprise finding the ring. That would have me in tears.
I think you have the right attitude about giving back -- it does work.

Hope things are going well for you, or at least better.