Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sweatin' With the Oldie



Make that "A Sweatin' Oldie". I finally did it...broke down and joined a gym! (At least I don't have to wear a gym suit anymore...remember those?)  I've been working out for three weeks now and have managed to gain 2 pounds!


Believe me, it wasn't easy for this hates-to-sweat blogger to locate the perfect gym. I had lots of requirements but the most important one was...


I was determined not to huff and puff in front of a cadre of tiny women in spandex. If I could have found a gym that promised "no sweat" that would have been on my list too.


I start with a dreaded warm up on the treadmill. Notice I chose the treadmill closest to the door...just in case I decide to give up and run for my life!


I also chose the treadmill closest to the TV...so I can watch decorating shows while I suffer. Notice that I have the closed captioning turned on...that is so I know what is being said...since I can't hear over my heavy breathing.


I've always hated my arms and this little machine promises to make them beautiful.,,I can't wait! Notice how much I look like I'm enjoying it?


And here's my personal trainer...DH. He makes me crazy because he does not sweat. Believe me, DH cuts me no slack at the gym...Bob and Dolvett from The Biggest Loser look like pussycats next to my Hank! Between DH and my world's best WW leader, Mary Elizabeth, it seems as if I should be down to 90 pounds by now.


Today DH started me on the jump rope. I figured that would be easy...NOT!

At least I haven't needed the handy little defibrillator yet. But I do have just one question: If going to the gym is so good for me, why is there one of these on the wall???


Guess it's been a few years since my sisters and I actually thought jumping rope was fun!


I'm still determined to get this last 10 pounds off and reach my Weight Watchers goal...if working out doesn't kill me first. I have a feeling that the last 10 is going to be tougher the first 37...but, call me crazy, I just won't give up!

Have you ever joined a gym or tried to lose weight? I'd love to hear your story...

Yours in Sweat,



9 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Good for you!!! Stick with it...it does work!!! Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so that 2 pound gain is probably those muscles that you are finding (because they're sore)!!! I fight weight all the time...I envy your determination!!! Congrats on your success!!!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I wish I was down a few pounds like you are! My will power is horrible...I'm trying to get back into the routine of working out 3 mornings a week!
Congrat's on what you have already lost!
Love your plates over your bed!
Deb

Grammy Goodwill said...

Pardon me while I wipe my face before I comment. Just eating a little snack. You can tell I have no willpower. Good luck to you. Hubby just put our cycle/elliptical together so we can start exercising.

Pamela Gordon said...

You are too funny! I think you look great already and congrats for losing the weight you did! I have done many diet programs and even WW a LONG time ago but I am considering joining again as they have a free membership right now and I NEED to lose the 10 pounds I put on in the last 15 months plus about 5 more. It's so hard once you're past a certain age that starts with 6!! I also did the aerobics thing for years and ruined my knees and joints and I did the gym thing 10 years ago. We have a treadmill that I hop on but not enough. Oh, I'm getting depressed now. Keep up the good work! Should I join WW? Can I stick to it?? Pamela

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Weight-Mate...you are an inspiration to all of us as you continue to tackle those last ten stubbon pounds. If you are persistent, I promise you that you will reach your weight loss goal. BTW, your supportive hubby & I do not earn the $$$ that the Biggest Loser coaches earn....we keep pushing you 'cause we just luvs 'ya !!!
I am so happy to have " MyLawsons" in my WW's class....see you at meeting time. MaryElizabeth a.k.a. "LeaderLady"

Claudia Fabiana said...

You go girl! Keep it up!

xoxo

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Congrats on what you've lost so far. With your dedication I am sure you'll get those last few pounds off. I had to laugh when I saw the picture of the "oldie" gym suit. I don't know whatever happened to mine. It was probably thrown away. I hated it. I am surprised that any are still in existence. I know of one for sure, though. My sister in law found hers and it still fit her. She actually wore it for a short time at her 30 year high school reunion and everybody got such a kick out of it. It was kind of like one of the highlights of the reunion. I would never have had the nerve to wear mine, even if it still fit, but she did, if only for a short time. I think it really must have added to that funny, wistful, strange feeling that most of us have had at high school reunions. I just found your blog while visiting comments at Cozy Little House, and I'll definitely be visiting again.

Laura S Reading said...

if you work off those last 10 you can get dressed up and host a Tupperware party!

I enjoyed this so much I am "pinning" it to my get healthy board for inspiration.