Monday, September 12, 2011

Bye, Bye 70's Style, Part 2: Updating the Fireplace

I actually tackled the fireplace in our 1970's family room addition before I got up the nerve to paint the ceiling beams (see previous post, Part 1). Again, the goal was to lighten, brighten and leave the 70's far behind. So, down came the rustic mantle...constructed from yet another dark-stained beam.

Here is the only photo I have of  the mantle "before" (maybe I thought it was just too ugly to photograph)...hopefully it will give you a sense of what it looked like. It, and the dark ceiling beams, really sucked all the light out of the room.

On a spring trip to Cape Cod, I found this old mantle in an antique barn and purchased it for only  $15.00.  After a coat of the same paint I used on the ceiling beams, it worked perfectly to update, and soften, our fireplace.

Sometimes the simplest changes can make a big difference. 

The trim got a coat of paint too...
The Minwax Dark Walnut, that old standby stain of the 1970's, is almost gone!


I think I'm on a roll...next it's on to the dining room!

I'm linking this post up to:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On the Porch

4 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Doesn't it feel like a breath of fresh air to paint the trim white? It's looking good!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh my what a change that made in this room! Love the new look, very fresh! Beautiful mantel. hugs, Linda

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

So glad you did not paint the bricks. The mantle looks wonderful and what a great buy!

Pamela Gordon said...

It looks great Cheryl! I love your fireplace with the natural bricks and the white mantel lightens it up. The white windows and trim help also. It's a really nice room to relax in. Have a super week! Pamela