Monday, August 15, 2011

Scenes From Along The Road

We just returned from a fantastic camping vacation along the Bay of Fundy in Down East Maine and New Brunswick, Canada.  My sister, Nancy, who was always my partner in crime on road trips, would have loved this adventure! Thanks to my Canadian blogger friend, Pamela Gordon at Playing With My Camera, we saw a lot in six days. Here are some photos from "the road" (as we rough n' tough cowgirl campin' girls like to call it)...

Beautiful campsite on Cobscook Bay...with its own log cabin...which was a good thing since we had to set up camp in the pouring rain...Murphy's Law!

Rainbow cabins spoke to my love of roadside nostalgia...

As did this shop advertising "Really Bad Antiques".

I've always wondered why, when you drive north in Maine, you are, in "Mainespeak", heading "Down East". See the map below? I live in Southern Maine, near Portland, and we traveled in a northeasterly direction toward Acadia...we went "Down East". Get it? (Note: Neither do I and I live here.) Ayuh!

I even remember my grandmother, who lived in Connecticut in her later years, telling us that she was going to go "down to Maine". Actually, according to Wikipedia,  Eastern Maine is referred to as "Down East" because the area is down wind from the rest of the east coast on the prevailing westerly breezes. Guess we'll just have to go with that.
I love photographing old deserted houses and wondering about their stories...especially when they are located in towns with names like "Meddybemps".

The road took us through Machias, Eastport, Lubec and Calais...before crossing into New Brunswick, Canada. Passports in hand, over the border we went...

To beautiful Campobello Island, which, although located in Canada, is a U.S. National Park as well. Campobello is the former summer home of  President Franklin Roosevelt and his wife, Eleanor, where...


FDR's hat still sits on the bench in the library.

Wildflowers were in bloom all along the Bay...

Leading the way to East Quoddy Head light, at the tip of Campobello Island...you can walk to it only during low tide. The tides in the Bay of Fundy are among the highest on earth, rising and falling up to 55 feet in spots. If you stay at the lighthouse too long (taking too many photos for your blog?), you have to wait 12 hours to walk back...in the dark!

Aware of the warnings about the tides, we climbed out to the lighthouse....
Down the steep steps...over the rocks...
and back up...just in time.


In the seaside town of St. Andrews, NB, we fell in love with this little "Pansy Cottage".
I couldn't wait to "Pull the string and Lift the latch"...I could definitely live in "Pansy Patch".

Here is the third most photographed site in Canada (I think I missed the first two)...in the little coastal town of Saint George.

We loved the City Market in Saint John.  Saint John reminded us a lot of  our hometown of Portland...a fun, quirky seaside city with lots of beautiful old homes and quaint shops. The food was fun too...


As good as it sounded, this Weight Watcher stayed away from the Acadian favorite, Poutine...fries, cheese, and gravy all on one plate...talk about cholesterol...but it was tempting!

We decided to take the ferry back to the States...

You drive right onto the beach to board the car ferry...not fancy but it works!


On the way home, we stopped at a roadside flea market...

 Where local women were making and selling wreaths made of sea heather...


And I bought a few vintage treasures to share in a future post.

After a quick final search for vintage bargains at the Big Chicken Barn in Ellsworth...

We passed the Bait's Motel...only in Maine! (Note to Psycho fans: I couldn't make this stuff up)...

And our favorite campground, Searsport Shores (see related post)...on our way to...

Our own driveway.

We loved every minute of our road trip, especially the Fundy coast of Canada, but, as Dorothy said to the Tin Man, "There's no place like home". We'll be unpacked just in time for our grandsons, Taka and Toshi to arrive today...let the little boy fun begin!

This post is happily linked to:
 Sister Sunday at Sisters of the Wild West

3 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cheryl, Your vacation sounds wonderful. I'm happy you enjoyed seeing a bit of New Brunswick! Did you try the dulse? Salty and tangy but very healthy. Not so for the poutine! Only in N.B.!! Glad you went to Campobello. It's been years since we've been there. I found an old Country Living magazine with an article on Campobello and St. Andrews - interesting read! Enjoy your grandsons visit. Blessings, Pamela

Betty said...

You mentioned driving through Machias...home of the Machias Blueberry Festival. It was probably ten years ago this month and I was sitting in a movie theater in Houston, Texas when they started running the previews along with a few ads. They ran one ad about the Machias Blueberry Festival starting the following weekend. I thought that was strange since blueberry season here is in June. I knew it couldn't be in Texas and when I got home I googled Machias Blueberry Festival and discovered it was in Maine. I guess that ad was sent to our theater in error, but ever since I've wanted to go to the Machias Blueberry Festival. Perhaps one of these days...

MeMeSue said...

Hi Cheryl!

Long time...summer has found me very busy and the blog kinda took a rest. Ramping up to get started again but on a lighter schedule so I don't feel spread too thin!

Hope you had a fantastic summer and enjoy your time with the grands! I guess school will be starting soon and you will be busy once again!

I think of you often,
Sue